12/08/2015

The Accident Season - Moïra Fowley-Doyle

It's the accident season, the same time every year.
Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember: a month of mysterious injuries and tragedies, which casts a constant shadow over Cara and her family.

This year, the accident season will break more than just bones. Because Cara is starting to ask questions - and all her family's secrets will rise to the surface.




I received a proof of this at the beginning of May, but sadly didn't get a chance to read it before I went to an event in London and got to meet the author. I really wish I had, although it's probably better that I hadn't or I'd have monopolised her for hours until she was dying for an opportunity to escape! In the end it was a book that led to me staying up to finish it, and then having to leave the landing light on.

There are so many reasons that I loved this story that it's difficult to know where to start to describe it, especially without accidentally spoiling any of the twists and turns; but I'll do my best.

I loved Cara's family; her big sister Alice, her not-really-a-brother Sam, and her mum, Melanie. I especially liked that fact that Melanie was referred to by her name, as it stopped her being just a flat "mum" character and made her someone else to worry about.

I loved Cara's brave friend Bea; her tarot card obsession, her willingness to just accept what was going on and to roll with it, and her eventual romance at the end.

I loved the places throughout the book, they really drew me in. From the school library, to the Morris family kitchen, to the house that becomes the space where secrets are revealed - I was fully present in all of them for the pivotal scenes (which resulted in me leaving the landing light on!)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Accident Season, and I'm very much looking forward to Moïra's next book.

No comments: